Basil Chicken at Good Taste Thai - Some Like it Hot!



3:00 and I'm starving. Time for an affordable late lunch. I have a vicious craving for Basil Chicken, but by this hour most Thai restaurants are closed between services. Enter the Capital Market - Good Taste Thai to be specific. I place my order with the friendly chef, who does a bit of a double take when I ask for it Thai Hot. Unlike some places, Good Taste takes no prisoners when it comes to heat. I sit close to the stall, the sizzle of the wok induces salivation in anticipation. The Basil Chicken at Good Taste is one of the better ones in town, and at a mere $11 it is quite possibly the cheapest. An added bonus is that it is the same price at dinner as it is at lunch. Capital Market is hardly the most ambient surrounding but at this price point to flavour/quality ratio who cares? You can't eat the decor.

My meal is ready in a flash. As pictured, the generous chef has even included chopped chilli on the side in case I want to take it to the next level of fire. After sampling a bite, I throw caution to the wind and mix the whole lot in. The dish consists of a mound of jasmine rice, strips of chicken and plentiful vegetables abound. There is a cute garnish of carrot in the shape of a flower and the obligatory shredded cabbage, which I adore dipping in the rich, viscous gravy. I bite into a broccoli floret. It is just right: tender while still retaining a bite. The strips of chicken are slightly on the dry side (breast meat - easy to do) but still very tasty. I stumble upon a concentration of chilli and my mouth bursts into flame. Heaven! The crunchy cabbage meshes well with the savoury gravy.

Holy Basil, also known as "tulsi" has been used for medicinal purposes throughout southeast Asia and India for centuries. According to the Journal of Ayurvedic Medicine it has anti-anxiety and anti-depressant properties comparable to diazepam and anti-depressant drugs. No wonder I used to eat it three times a week when I was working as a chef! Basil chicken is a magical dish that can cure even a Bangkok hangover. It truly is the world's most delicious medicine.

Good Taste's is a generous portion. I am pleasantly sated and haven't even finished my rice. I have definitely got my money's worth. Basil chicken is a habit with no side effects, and theirs certainly satisfies my addiction. If you're feeling hungover or depressed, or just want some delicious, healthy food at an outstanding price point, this is the place to be.

ขอบคุณ Good Taste for a great meal at an even better price.

115 Willis Street, Capital Markets
Food: 8/10
Service: 10/10
Ambience: 3.5/10
Cost: $11 all day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paua vs "Paua" at Wadestown Seafoods

Hot Chicken Sandwich at Soul Shack - Hot Chicken for the Soul

Brimstone Pizza at Hell's Pizza - Hellishly Disappointing