California Sushi: Salmon and Teriyaki Chicken Sushi - The Gold Standard



I'm California dreamin'... of California Sushi that is. The hour grows closer and closer to dinner time and on such a sunny day I do not feel like slaving away in front of a hot stove so I grab some sushi to take away. Sushi really is the ultimate fast (instant even) food, and from its humble origins as Edo street food it has been elevated to an art form. It's also very cheap, and relatively healthy compared to other $8 favourites such as roti chenai. California Sushi is a cute little shop located across the road from Espressoholic on upper Cuba Street. A fairly recent relocation from Left Bank, where the owner tells me they were there for 18 years which is an eternity by hospitality standards. A tantalising array of sushi in many flavours lines the counter. They are priced per piece, the cheapest being $1.20, the most expensive $2. I select my favourite salmon and avocado, and, feeling daring, the spicy teriyaki chicken, which I am assured is not too spicy. Japanese food rarely is.

The salmon is incredibly fresh and tender, melting in the mouth with a sliver of avocado. The rice is seasoned to perfection with just the right tang of vinegar, not too sweet. Some of the less salubrious places will mask poor ingredients with sugar, but the folks at California have nothing to hide and let the quality ingredients speak for themselves. As my old ballet teacher used to tell me, there is beauty in simplicity. Did you know that salmon sushi was invented by a Norwegian as a way to export salmon to Japan? Like the spicy teriyaki chicken, it may not be strictly "authentic" but when it's this tasty who cares? Speaking of, next I try the teriyaki. Succulent chicken thigh, not dry at all, marinated most excellently - an umami bomb. Salty and savoury and not at all too sweet as some teriyaki is wont to be. More slivers of avocado, verdant and creamy. My one criticism is that they could have been bit more generous with the avocado. The sharpness of the accompanying pickled ginger (natural colour, not dyed pink like some) gets my tastebuds tingling and cuts through the creaminess and fattiness of the avocado. It is devoured in a matter of minutes and my only regret is not purchasing more. I am pleasantly full without feeling stuffed. Japanese food, or "Washoku" is good like that. All up, for four pieces of salmon sushi and four pieces of teriyaki chicken I pay the princely sum of $10.20 (takeaway containers cost 20 cents). Sure, it's one of the more expensive sushi joints in town but it is so worth splurging on. For quality proteins and ingredients and virtually no wait time you're getting a very good deal indeed.

If you choose to dine in, along a row of high stools and bench by the window the ambience is cute and cozy and the owners are always great to chat to. I haven't stopped by in a while, yet I'm greeted like and old friend. Many of the sushi joints in town are chains so it's nice to support a small,  independent, family run business.

Food: 9.5/10
Service: 10/10
Ambience: 8/10
Cost: $10.20 for 8 pieces of sushi

149 Cuba St, Te Aro


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paua vs "Paua" at Wadestown Seafoods

Hot Chicken Sandwich at Soul Shack - Hot Chicken for the Soul

Brimstone Pizza at Hell's Pizza - Hellishly Disappointing