Satay Noodle Soup at The Oaks Satay Noodle House - A Supremely Soupy Sensation


On this cold, wet Wellington day I am craving the comfort and familiarity. To warm the cockles of my hungry heart, noodle soup is the perfect choice. And what better than the eponymous dish at The Oaks Satay Noodle House, a veritable institution which I have haunted since my teenage years. I ascend the stairs and go inside. It hasn't changed a bit. The decor is cozy and sparsely decorated, a big picture of Ankor Wat lines the back wall. The premises are clean, and chilled water is available for free. The one downside is that you require a key to use the bathroom, but it is a small price to pay for delicious authentic food at a very reasonable price.

The service is friendly and our food arrives promptly. I take a sip of the soup. Mmmmm, creamy! The subtle flavour of peanut coats my tongue. It is slightly sweet but not cloying, as some of the cheaper satay is wont to be. Surprisingly, today's offering contains a token piece of bok choi, a deviation from the satay soup of yore. The portion of white chicken meat is mostly tender, and is very generous, unlike some other places. As a former chef, I usually customise my soup with the table condiments, but this is one soup I don't adulterate. The lady at the table sees me chowing down with gusto and enquires as to what I am eating. "Number 18" I tell her, and go on to highly recommend it. Later, it arrives on her table and she is visibly thrilled with my recommendation. The bok choi is blanched just right, I only wish there was more of it. I slurp up numerous noodles of the thin, rice variety, not at all soggy. The portion is plentiful but not excessive and I finish my meal feeling sated but not sluggish.

The Oaks' satay noodle soup still tastes the same even over a decade later. In restaurants, consistency is key. It is one of the most important elements to gaining accolades is the Michelin Guide. I have been coming back again and again for very good reason, and I hope to come back again and again for the next decade and a bit. Maybe I will order something different sometime. Well, probably not!

Food: 8.5/10
Service: 8/10
Ambiance: 6.5/10

Oaks Complex, 71-85 Cuba Street, Te Aro



For a bit of fun, you can purchase a fortune cookie for 80 cents. My fortune was pretty spooky!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paua vs "Paua" at Wadestown Seafoods

Hot Chicken Sandwich at Soul Shack - Hot Chicken for the Soul

Brimstone Pizza at Hell's Pizza - Hellishly Disappointing