Salmon Sushi at TJ Katsu - Decent Dollar Sushi



As far as dollar sushi goes, TJ Katsu is one of the better ones despite being a chain. I used to frequently haunt the Manners Street branch when I was a student at culinary school, being on a budget and trying to watch my figure. Ha! Good luck with that at cooking school... I'm at the Courtney Place branch. This one is licensed and there is a row of sake vessels lining a high shelf, myriad colourful pieces of sushi lining the counter. I select four pieces of salmon and avocado. Unlike the precise rounds at California Sushi there are some bigger, messier end pieces so I opt for those as I love a bargain (blame my Lebanese heritage). Four pieces sets me back $4. I am asked if I want wasabi and ginger. I reply in the affirmative. TJs is very generous with the condiments, and the soy sauce at the table is the Kikkoman brand. There is music playing in the background, a mix of Japanese pop and easy listening. It's inoffensive but a little loud.

I pile pickled ginger on a piece and dip it in my mixture of soy and wasabi. In some circles mixing soy sauce and wasabi is frowned upon because it is believed that soy sauce diminishes the flavour of the wasabi. This may be true of real wasabi, but TJs wasabi is definitely artificial. I try a bit of rice on its own. It's pretty bland and I note a lack of acidity from vinegar. The salmon is reasonably fresh and tender, though they could have been more generous with the avocado. Without the condiments it is fairly average but with the wasabi/soy mix and a mountain of ginger it is pleasant indeed. Maybe that's why they are so generous with the accompaniments.

At $1 apiece it is a nice light meal or snack that won't break the bank or your calorie count. Recommended if you can't get to Midland Sushi or California Sushi.

Food: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Ambiance: 7/10

97 Courtney Place, Te Aro 6011

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paua vs "Paua" at Wadestown Seafoods

Hot Chicken Sandwich at Soul Shack - Hot Chicken for the Soul

Brimstone Pizza at Hell's Pizza - Hellishly Disappointing